People are often referred to this service by their GP. The teams will also accept referrals from inpatient services based at Bethlem Royal Hospital, Croydon Home Treatment Team and other specialist mental health teams.
When SLaM receives a referral; SLaM will contact you to arrange an initial appointment either at the Jeanette Wallace House or at your home. A qualified mental health practitioner will carry out this assessment. SLaM will look at the difficulties you are currently experiencing as well as past experiences.
This could take up to an hour and will allow us to get a better understanding of how SLaM might be able to help you. The assessment will focus on many aspects of your life such as your mental and physical health, social circumstances, day-to-day activities, childcare responsibilities and finances.
You may only need to be seen once by SLaM and your GP will be advised as to best form of treatment. SLaM may suggest a referral to another service, or further contact with SLaM services such as seeing a psychiatrist at the outpatient clinic. It may be helpful for you to have some talking therapy, which is generally provided by a psychologist.
Following the assessment you may be allocated a care coordinator (this may be a community psychiatric nurse, a doctor, a social worker or an occupational therapist) to provide more intensive help over time.
What to expect from this service:
Your care coordinator will provide you with your care plan, which will tell you:
- The specific health and social care needs identified
- What they plan to do and what are the intended goals of your care
- What you need to do to support your own recovery and to keep well
- How to contact the people working with you and how to make appointments with a psychiatrist at an outpatient clinic
- What signs to look for when you are becoming unwell and what you should do to get help and support
- Who will do what to support you in meeting your health and social needs?
SLaM Assessment And Liaison Service
Jeanette Wallace House
Assessment And Liaison Service
1 Edridge Road
Tel: 0203 228 0300
Tel: 0203 228 0301
Fax: 020 3228 5460